Swakopmund is a city on the Atlantic coast of northwestern Namibia, 280 km (175 miles) west of Windhoek, Namibia's capital. It is the capital of the Erongo administrative district. As a seaside resort, the weather is cooler here in December to January (Namibia's summer months) so the territorial administration moves to Swakopmund for these months.
Swakopmund is a beach resort and an excellently preserved example of German colonial architecture. It was founded in 1892 as the main harbour for GermanSouth-West Africa. It is one of the few places anywhere outside of Europe where a sizable minority of the population speaks German and has German roots.
- Museum of Swakopmund (shows exhibits concerning archaeology, mineralogy, botany, prehistory, early history, German colonial history. It includes also an exhibition about the different peoples of Namibia.
- Indoor Swimming Hall and THE DOME Sports Centre just opposite to Sandcastle Apartments (100m walk)
- Marine Monument
- Old County Court (1908)
- County Court (summer residence of the president)
- Crystal Palace (mineralmuseum)
- House of the Hohenzollern
- Casern of the pioneers (1905)
- The old train station (1901) - today used as a luxury hotel, Gourmet-restaurant and Casino
- Church and rectory of the German Lutheran Community (1911)
- Locomotive „Martin Luther“
- Rössing-mine, the biggest uranium mine of the world